Have you heard of the term “Disneybounding?” This word was coined by a Disney fan who blogged about her first trip to a Walt Disney World as an adult. Since guests above 13 years old are not allowed to wear costumes when visiting the theme park, she created outfits that resembled the look of beloved Disney characters using contemporary clothing pieces. What started as a creative experiment for an adult who was literally Disney-bound has now become a popular style trend known as “Disneybounding.”
However, contrary to a common misconception, Disneybound outfits are not worn exclusively for visiting a Disney theme park. Again, while they are influenced by Disney characters’ clothes and style, they are not costumes. Thus, they can be worn everywhere, every day, for as long as you combine the right clothing pieces and accessories.
Whether you love Disney or are merely looking for ways to spice up your everyday look, Disneybounding is a fashion trend worth exploring. If you do not know how to go about it, read on. This piece will give you a rundown of Disney-inspired dressing ideas suited for everyday use. We will also offer several style tips on how you can wear Disney-themed products to create chic and sophisticated looks. As a bonus, we will share practical pointers for creating Disney-inspired outfits, from looking at staples in your closet to finding the best cotton leggings to buy.
Disney-Inspired Fashion Ideas
The key to putting together an impressive Disney-inspired outfit is creativity. You can play with different clothing styles, colors, and accessories to create different looks using Disney characters as a jump-off point. To help you appreciate the concept, here are several Disney-inspired dressing ideas that you can wear any day of the week:
Minnie Mouse is a sweet character known for her big red bow and red polka dot dress. Create a feminine and elegant Minnie Mouse-inspired look by wearing a black turtle neck top paired with a red midi skirt, black tights, and black heels. Complete the look with a long necklace with a red bow pendant. A stylish red bow brooch also works well to replicate Minnie’s famous red ribbon. This classy, put-together look is perfect for the office, meeting friends for drinks, or even date night.
Is pink your favorite color? If so, you may want to create a laid-back outfit that you can wear while running errands, going out for coffee, or casual Fridays using the Sleeping Beauty as style inspiration. Instead of a pink flowy gown, you can go all-pink from top to bottom, albeit in different shades. For example, you can put on a dark pink blouse and a pair of light blush pink pants, and white leather sandals. To represent Princess Aurora’s tiara, you can wear a gold puffy headband or tiara earrings as accessories.
If you want to channel your inner Cinderella and turn heads wherever you go, look for soft blue pieces in your wardrobe. Perhaps a long ice blue button-down shirt and a pair of light wash denim leggings or skinny jeans to transform Cinderella’s light blue gown into something more casual. Or maybe don a light blue wrap-around blouse and pair of cigarette pants in a slightly darker shade if you want a more sophisticated vibe. Finish the look with silver sneakers or transparent high-heel sandals and white pearl stud earrings similar to what Cinderella wore to the ball.
Merida is the epitome of the modern woman—independent, focused, and brave. Remember her when planning your Disney-inspired outfits. All you need are pieces you can readily associate with this beautiful red-haired lady, such as emerald green, plaid patterns, and bow and arrow motifs. Start with a cashmere boat neck sweater in emerald green. Pair it with a matching green plaid skater skirt, black full-length leggings, and black platform boots. In place of an actual bow and arrow, carry Merida’s fighting spirit with a vintage arrow bracelet or brooch.
Perhaps your favorite character is Snow White, but you are a bit uncomfortable wearing a dress with a color combination of blue, red, and yellow. Do not worry. There are plenty of ways to create a Snow White vibe with staple pieces. For instance, you can put on a blue denim jacket over a long yellow maxi dress. Accessorize using red apple dangle drop earrings to complete the look. A pastel yellow puff-sleeved blouse paired with dark wash jeans and red canvas sneakers is another option. Wear a bracelet with an apple charm to showcase Snow White.
Quick Tips to Wearing Disney-Themed Merchandise with Style
Besides creating outfits inspired by your favorite Disney characters, you can also wear Disney-themed products to add a bit of excitement and color to your everyday ensemble. Create stylish looks with such fun products by keeping the following tips in mind:
- Choose a character color to highlight. Create a put-together look by matching the color of your accessories with one of the colors in your Disney top. Perhaps you have a Mickey Mouse graphic tee. If so, you can wear red canvas sneakers, a red watch, a red bandana bracelet, or other accessories that complement Mickey’s red shorts.
- Opt for neutral hues. You can never go wrong wearing Disney T-shirts, sweaters, or tops in neutral colors like black, gray, or white. Classic colors always look great, and you can easily mix and match them with different garments, such as jeans, shorts, and other casual bottoms.
- Use Disney-themed products to make any basic outfit pop. Let’s say you are wearing an all-black ensemble. You can wear Disney-themed footwear, socks, colorful belts, or other accessories to add a splash of color to your ensemble.
How to Choose Clothing Pieces to Create Disney-Inspired Outfits
As you may have noticed from the Disney-inspired fashion ideas described above, you do not need extraordinary or flashy clothing pieces to create Disneybound outfits. You can put together stylish looks from whatever items you have in your closet. You can also purchase staple garments and accessories from your favorite retailers. The important thing is to learn how to choose suitable pieces to create Disney-inspired styles you can comfortably wear every day. Here are several pointers to keep in mind toward this end.
- Think about your style. Opt for pieces that showcase your personal style in colors that represent the Disney character you are trying to emulate. Keep in mind that you are creating a look that you love, not an ensemble that only a fictional character would wear.
- Invest in items that can work for multiple characters. Instead of buying unique pieces that you can only use once or twice, look for garments that you can use to create different characters. For instance, plain-colored shirts and tops that you can readily accessorize to channel a specific Disney character. High-quality black cotton leggings are also excellent investments since you can use them to create looks patterned after Minnie Mouse, Maleficent, Davy Jones, Captain Hook, and many others.
- Make sure that the clothing pieces create a well-balanced, harmonious look. When putting together your Disney-inspired outfit, find garments that work well together. For example, if you choose an oversized top, opt for fitted pants to create balance. Moreover, since you will be playing with the colors of Disney characters, make sure to choose colors and tones that match and complement each other.
If you happen to be a Disney fan or someone who likes experimenting with different looks, you should try putting together Disney-inspired outfits for your everyday activities. You can use the ideas and tips discussed here to help you get started. You can also trust your instincts and explore unprecedented looks based on your favorite Disney characters. You can keep it simple, or you can be more adventurous. It is all up to you. Do whatever makes you feel and look good. After all, that is what Disney is all about.Disclaimer - As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for visiting the Disney Fashionista website. Be sure to sign up for our Daily Newsletter where we deliver the best in Disney Fashion, Travel, Makeup and More to your inbox! You can find us all over the internet at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and even Pinterest!