Disney has announced the artists for Mickey Mouse’s 90th Anniversary NYC Exhibition. More than a dozen contemporary artists will debut original artwork inspired by the one and only Mickey Mouse when ‘Mickey: The True Original Exhibition’ opens in New York City on November 8.
The 16,000 square-foot immersive exhibition, which will also include interactive multi-sensory experiences, photo opportunities galore and Disney magic around every corner, commemorates Mickey Mouse’s 90th anniversary. Los Angeles-based designer and creative director Darren Romanelli has curated an artistic team of acclaimed contemporary artists and up and coming talents working in varied mediums, formats and points of view, each inspired by their affinity for Mickey Mouse and his place in popular culture. With more to be announced in the coming weeks, they include:
- Tanya Aguiñiga: Wall weaving created from plush ears, blankets and textiles
- Daniel Arsham: “Hiding Mickey” protruding wall sculpture based off his work in surreal sculptures (“Hiding Figures”)
- Katherine Bernhardt: Large format wall mural (36’x10’) featuring Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and Mickey’s favorite food
- Brian Bress: Video installation featuring the artist in a custom graphic Mickey costume drawing colorful figures
- Oliver Clegg: Oil painting on recycled wood canvas inspired by The Sorcerer’s Apprentice from Disney’s Fantasia
- James Jean: Large, framed photograph prints and hand-drawn illustrations of his Mickey and Minnie Mouse figurine collaboration
- London Kaye: Colorful floor-to-ceiling crochet installation inspired by Disney’s classic short, The Band Concert
- Oliver Payne: Large wall prints of vintage photographs of the Disneyland® Resort with Mickey Mouse sticker overlays
- Ariana Papademetropoulos: Watercolor painting inspired by an old photo of a Mickey Mouse figurine on her grandmother’s bedside table
- PEACEMINUSONE: Colorful Mickey Mouse print that will be emerging from behind a layer of drywall
- Brian Roettinger: Comic-inspired ink graphic wall inspired by iconic Mickey Mouse comic strips
- Keiichi Tanaami: – Large, psychedelic pop-art print framed using wood and crushed glass
- Darren Romanelli, aka DRx: A 3000% [email protected] wrapped in reconstructed vintage Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse tees and sweatshirts
- Amanda Ross-Ho: Oversized classic Mickey ringer tee-shirt
- Kenny Scharf: Mickey Mouse classic wristwatch-inspired, neon-infused “Cosmic Cavern”
- Shinique Smith: Large bale sculpture composed of classic Mickey plush and textile
“I’m incredibly excited to bring Mickey Mouse back to New York City where Steamboat Willie premiered. The moment becomes even more special by being able to pair art world legends like Kenny Scharf alongside today’s top emerging artists in an exhibition unlike anything we’ve ever seen,” said Romanelli, who is also creating an installation for the exhibition. “These artists have all been touched by the magic of Disney and the experience will reflect that through and through. I can’t wait for the world to see it all come to life.”
Shinique Smith is debuting her ‘Mickey: The True Original Exhibition’ piece, “Bale Variant No. 0026, Ode to Mickey Mouse, My First Love,” via public preview beginning tomorrow, Oct. 10 in Los Angeles. Smith, who creates colorful and whimsical scapes often utilizing every day and found objects, will reveal her large-format bale sculpture utilizing Mickey Mouse plush. The piece will be on view outside Downtown Los Angeles Arts District gathering spot Lupetti from October 10 – 23.
Fans in Chicago can also get a glimpse of Amanda Ross-Ho’s installation, “Untitled T-Shirt” (NONAGENARIAN), an oversized classic Mickey ringer tee, currently on view in the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel lobby until October 25, before it moves to New York.
“Mickey: The True Original Exhibition” is running from November 8, 2018 – February 10, 2019, ‘Mickey: The True Original Exhibition’ will be open Tuesday-Sunday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at 60 10th Avenue, New York.
Tickets are available for $38 per person at Disney.com/MickeyTrueOriginal. With selected time slots already selling out for its November debut, guests are encouraged to plan early.Disclaimer - As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for visiting the Disney Fashionista website. Be sure to sign up for our Daily Newsletter where we deliver the best in Disney Fashion, Travel, Makeup and More to your inbox! You can find us all over the internet at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and even Pinterest!
- Channel Your Inner Experiment 626 With This Stitch Plush Headband! - June 14, 2021
- Disney x BaubleBar Minnie Ears Coming To ShopDisney! - June 14, 2021
- Disney Discovery- Mickey Mouse Floor Mat Set - June 13, 2021