Lucasfilm has announced that their first film in the new standalone Star Wars stories series, “Rogue One,” has begun the phase of movie filming.
“Rogue One,” will tell the story of resistance fighters who have banned together to steal plans to the dreaded Death Star. “Rogue One” will take place before the events of “Star Wars: A New Hope” but will depart from the famous trilogy, while still maintaining elements that are familiar to the Star Wars universe. The film will delve into new territory, and show what the galactic struggle was like from a ground-war view, while still having the Star Wars feel we’ve all come to know, and cherish.
A stunning cast has been assembled by filmmakers:
- Felicity Jones, nominated for an Academy Award® for her leading role in “The Theory of Everything”; Diego Luna, who was featured in 2008’s Oscar®-winning “Milk” and the critically acclaimed “Killing Them Softly”
- Ben Mendelsohn, recently nominated for an Emmy® for his leading role in “Bloodline” and co-starring in the upcoming “Mississippi Grind”
- Donnie Yen, Hong Kong action star and martial artist who starred in “Ip Man” and “Blade II”
- Jiang Wen, who co–wrote, produced , directed and starred in the award-winning “Let the Bullets Fly” and “Devils on the Doorstep”
- Forest Whitaker, recently featured in the critically-acclaimed Lee Daniels’ “The Butler” and winner of an Academy Award® for his leading role in 2006’s “The Last King of Scotland
- Mads Mikkelsen, who starred in “The Hunt” and was the memorable villain from 2006’s “Casino Royale”
- Alan Tudyk, who plays a performance-capture character in “Rogue One,” stars in the soon-to-be-released “Con Man” series and “Trumbo,” which releases this November
- Riz Ahmed, who was recently featured in “Nightcrawler” and starred in the BAFTA-winning film “Four Lions.”
Gareth Edwards (“Godzilla,” “Monsters”) is directing “Rogue One, and the film is produced by Kathleen Kennedy. Veteran ILM visual effects supervisor John Knoll, who shares a long history with the Star Wars movies, dating back to the mid-1990s, originated the idea for the movie. Allison Shearmur (“The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,” “Cinderella”), John Knoll, Simon Emanuel (“The Dark Knight Rises,” “Fast & Furious 6”) and Jason McGatlin (“Tintin,” “War of the Worlds”) are executive producers. Kiri Hart and John Swartz (“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”) are co-producers.
Gareth Edwards Chose Greig Fraser (“Zero Dark Thirty”) to be the director of photography, and Neil Corbould (“Gladiator”) as special effect supervisor, to help create the lived-in, realistic feel of “Rogue One”.Star Wars and Lucasfilm veteran Doug Chiang (“Star Wars: Episodes I-II,” “Forrest Gump”) and Neil Lamont (supervising art director for the “Harry Potter” series, “Edge of Tomorrow”) will be the production designers. Additional crew members will include stunt coordinator Rob Inch (“World War Z,” Marvel’s “Captain America: The First Avenger”), creature effects supervisor Neal Scanlan (“Prometheus”) and co-costume designers Dave Crossman (costume supervisor for the “Harry Potter” series, “Saving Private Ryan”) and Glyn Dillon (costume concept artist for “Kingsman: The Secret Service,” “Jupiter Ascending”).
“Rogue One” is slated for a galactic December 16, 2016 release.
Disclaimer - As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for visiting the Disney Fashionista website. Be sure to sign up for our Daily Newsletter where we deliver the best in Disney Fashion, Travel, Makeup and More to your inbox! You can find us all over the internet at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and even Pinterest!
- New Classic Mickey and Minnie Scentsy Collection Coming Soon - January 2, 2021
- Sneak Peek Of Disney Art Coming To The Festival Of The Arts - December 31, 2020
- New Alice In Wonderland And Disney Transportation Wishables - December 30, 2020